457 Visa Subclass
Temporary Work (Skilled)
The 457 visa is open to all nationalities with the right skills matching the employers demand. In 2013 over 110 thousand 457 visa’s were issued. 457 visa holders equate to almost 1% of the total labour market. The subclass 457 visa is a temporary visa for Australia for a period of 1 month to 4 years and allows skilled persons to come to Australia to work for an approved employer, accompanied by their immediate families.
The 457 visa program involves a 3 stage process, whereby an employer is firstly an approved to be a sponsor and then nominates a skilled overseas worker to fill a specific position is the business:
- Demonstrate that they are a lawfully operating business
- Demonstrate skilled position is in need
- Meet the training benchmark requirements of 2% of payroll or spend 1% of the annual pay role to train Australian citizens in the business.
- Demonstrate its financial ability to sponsor and state how many employees the business plans to sponsor within 3 years.
Once granted, the business is considered to be a Standard Business Sponsor.
Necessary criteria for a valid nomination include:
- The nominated skilled occupation must be on the Consolidated skilled occupation list (CSOL).
- The applicant must be paid a base salary of at least the minimum salary level, which, by the temporary skilled migration income threshold (TSMIT), is prescribed at $53,900.
- The employer must have completed labour market testing, demonstrating that the position was advertised to the Australian labour market but resulted with no success to find a suitable skilled person.
The skilled overseas worker completes the process by lodging the visa to match the first 2 stages applied.
During the application, the visa applicant must:
- Have a genuine intention to perform in the nominated occupation
- Have the necessary skills and experience, meet English requirement level (unless exempt)
- Have relevant licencing and registration to perform work duties and
- In some cases, it is required that the applicant have skills assessment depending on the skill level from 1 to 3
- All applicants (including secondary applicants) must meet identity, health and character requirements
After the application is approved:
- The sponsored applicant can only work for that employer only
- Spouses of the sponsored applicant and other working age dependents have full work right during their stay in Australia
What we do
Registered Migration Agents at Study Pro specialize in transitioning students from student visas to 457 visa’s in all industries. We have delivered more than 70% of our students to the 457 visa program using their overseas skills or Australian qualifications to pursue the work visa stream. We have a unique and success preparation program and a team of professional integrity and are uniquely specialized in this field for such a complicated diligent visa criteria.
Many subclass 457 visa holders go on to settle permanently in Australia. Between 2012 and 2013 69% of 457 visa holders transitioned to the (permanent) Employer nomination scheme subclass visa (ENS) and 31% for the regional sponsored migration scheme (RSMS) visa. Due to the low population considering the size of Australia, the Department of Immigration has created more eligible pathways to permanent residence for temporary skilled visa holders.